Tuesday, November 01, 2005

In which Nickers apologises profusely for not updating his Blog but has been a busy boy...

My goodness – that’s a long time since my last Blog! I am a bad Nickers so I apologise. What have I been up to that has kept me from Blogging for so long I hear you cry through cyberspace. Hush down and I’ll tell you…

Firstly I was Chair of Elections Committee for the by-election and NUS Affiliation – running hustings and NUS debate, making sure the candidates were ok, doing PowerPoint presentations and Press releases, co-ordinating with student Media and the NUS to get people down discussing the issues. I want to say thank you to everyone who voted and showed that they cared about their Union and their student lifestyle and a special thank you to the candidates for making it a great election.

The results… Societies Officer is now Anthony Gudgin, Volunteers Officer is Naomi Tomblin and we voted to stay part of NUS with 89% of the vote!

RU Ready… for running events was a real success – with very positive feedback indeed – everyone thought the level of Training was “ace” or “very good” – so many thanks to those who delivered the sessions.

I’ve been busy on the day to day stuff with Spark and Junction11 as usual and I’ve been helping out with Nightline Training too.

MASIV looks like it’s going to have a wonderful 2nd pilot year – with an hour and a half till application deadline we have something like 207 applicants! That’s up by about 150 from last year. Thank you everyone who’s encouraged, cajoled and promoted the scheme to others. I was at Regional Conference yesterday (more of which below) and MASIV was held up as best practice again – I grinned inanely.

I remained grinning because I then got elected to National Council by the other SE officers who attended. I’m dead chuffed and very smug right now, and looking forward to getting into doing stuff and helping the National Campaign.


I wrote a motion for Governance Review and took it to Student Council and the phrase 'Council is in Crisis' is now floating around the Union like the odour of Snakey B on a Thursday morning. This is very exciting and great to be working on.

That's mainly it - sorry again for my blog being so late - especially to a certain JH who loves it so much!

Nickers x

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done on getting elected to the national council, maybe you could write a motion about mandatory blog posts for exec members, you all seem to be slacking......

Emily said...

hee hee - we're suppsoed to update our webpages every two weeks - but we're also in the busiest part of the year. I think people do realise that Sabbs are juggling a hefty workload - I'm doing 60 horu weeks as standard and I'm pretty sure that people would rather I worked hard with Volunteers and making the regualtions more accessible than update my webpage!

National Council deals with the NUS not RUSU - so I'll not be taking that motion there :)

Anonymous said...

I'm touched. And well done for getting elected to National Council - just don't forget your roots!

JH.